Hunger Statistics in Lake County
- 49,000 people in Lake County live below the poverty line.
- 1 out of 10 Illinois residents do not have regular access to enough safe, nutritious food for
an active and healthy life.
- 33% of the members of households served by PLAN are children under 18 years old.
- 38% of households served by PLAN include at least 1 employed adult.
- 7% served by PLAN Food Pantry are homeless.
- Each $1 donated to PLAN purchases 9lbs of food through the Northern Illinois Food Bank.
What does One dollar purchase in food for the pantry?!
- One dollar will purchase about 9lbs. of food for the pantry!
- Through our affiliates, PLAN is able to purchase food for the needy at very low prices!
Facts about PLAN
- 30 tons: Canned goods required monthly
- 16 tons: Current shortfall monthly
- 8,000: Area households served last year alone
- 1: Person in most households served is employed but struggles to meet family needs
- $4: The amount of canned goods we can purchase from the Northern Illinois Food
Bank for each $1 contributed to PLAN
- $20,000: Our monthly operating needs
This pallet of food was purchased for $250!